Recently the Audio Publishers Association announced the nominees for the top level categories for their 2011 Audies® Awards. I was half tempted to put a picture of Johnny Depp here instead of Keith Richards, whose autobiography has been nominated for AudioBook of the Year. Johnny Depp is said to be one of the reasons why this audio books was nominated.
He is one of the narrators on the audio book and let’s face it Johnny Depp can do no wrong. He continues to be popular and rumor has it he used his impression of a drugged out Keith Richards as his inspiration for the voice of his Jack Sparrow character in Pirates of the Caribbean. The marketing campaign for the audio book Life leveraged Johnny Depp’s involvement and am sure his popularity was able to draw in some that would not be audio book listeners.
We write about the Audies® each year since they really are the only awards dedicated solely to the audio book industry. The awards are given out in over 30 categories, specifically genres but the top awards of AudioBook of the Year and Distinguished Acheivement in Production of course get more attention. They remind me of the Oscars since many of the narrators tend to be from the entertainment industry like Johnny Depp. There also are some narrator stars though that have made their name mainly in the audio book space like Simon Vance.
The awards will be announced this month at the annual Audies® Award Gala that is held in New York. It will take place on Tuesday May 24th. For more details you can look through the APA press releases that should be available on the www.audiopub.org website.
The nominees for 2011 AudioBook of the Year are:
- Life, by Keith Richards, narrated by Johnny Depp and Joe Hurley
- The Red Pyramid, by Rick Riordan, narrated by Katherine Kellgren and Kevin P.
- The Woody Allen Collection, written and narrated by Woody Allen
The nominees for 2011 Distinguished Achievement in Production are:
- Chapters from My Autobiography, by Mark Twain, narrated by Bronson Pinchot
- The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest, by Stieg Larsson, narrated by Simon
- Here in Harlem: Poems in Many Voices, by Walter Dean Myers, narrated by a full
- One Crazy Summer, by Rita Williams-Garcia, narrated by Sisi Aisha Johnson
- Saint Joan, by George Bernard Shaw, narrated by Amy Irving, Edward
Herrmann, Kristoffer Tabori and a full cast
- The Sunset Limited, by Cormac McCarthy, narrated by Austin Pendleton, Ezra
Knight, and Tom Stechschulte
These books are available through Audible.